Wednesday 28 October 2015

Book Reviews #1- Breaking Him (Love Is War #1) by R.K. Lilley



Breaking Him (Love Is War #1) by R.K. Liley

Genre- Romance, Contemporary

Goodreads Ratings- 4.35 Stars

My Ratings- 4.89 Stars

Paperback- 338 pages

Language- English

ISBN 10- 1628780401

ISBN 13- 978-1628780406

Amazon link- Breaking Him


Synopsis

Scarlet
It was the kind of relationship where I invested more than I had to spare.I gave it everything.And so when it failed, I lost myself.It changed me. He changed me.I went down with the ship.My soul, burnt embers in the aftermath.The fire of him ravaged it all.He burned me.Broke me.

Scarlett had always dreamed big. She was headed straight for Hollywood. Destined for silver screen greatness.But in her wildest dreams she never imagined she’d be broke and single at twenty-eight, doling drinks at thirty-five thousand feet.She was a glorified waitress in the skies.It had been years since she’d seen him.But one day, there he sat, gazing intently at her, ready to set everything ablaze once more.Dante wanted her. Again.Sure, she’d play along…but this time, it was his turn.She was breaking him.After all, love is war. 

My Review


A heart-wrenching love/hate story that grips you and leaves you feeling breathless. Dante & Scarlet is that type of story that has the power to submerged its reader in the deep water of irresistible hatred and undeniable love. Recommended for those who loved the Tristan & Danika or the Crossfire series.


       This was something else.I've read books by R.K. Lilley, and Up In The Air is one of my favourite series. But this was very ( and by very, I mean jaw-dropping-wide-eyed-staring) different. I was intrigued from the first page and my attention didn't wander until I completed the last chapter. If I may speak the truth, a part of my mind is still dwelling in the undercurrent Lilley left me with her insufferable ending.
                    It's get clear from the beginning of the first chapter that current situation of our protagonists is the aftereffect of their inscrutable past. The book is solely from Scarlet point of view, so we get to see only one side of the coin. But throughout the story you could see that everything is not as it seems ( Is it ever?)

   "His mouth twisted."A match in hell.""
"There is only one heart in this universe that calls to mine..... But I won't listen to it. It belongs to a liar."
""I hate that I still love you."....."I hate that I'll never stop.""

       The story mainly revolves around their explosive relationship or the lack of it. The emotions and electricity between these two are so palpable that I would need to stand back if I were in the same room. Reunited through tragedy, they are sparked with combustible energy.The story keeps shifting between 'The Past' and 'The Present'. However, you starts realizing that the truth has many layers to it. So you keep reading and peeling the layers, trying to see what's inside. But at the end you are left with tears, still not able to find the whole truth (even though you can guess some of it). To say the truth, the cliffhanger is going to haunt me for days and night.
       
             All in all, R.K. Lilley exhibited a different but spectacular side of her writing by this book. And I would be obsessively waiting for the next instalment of Dante & Scarlet story (Breaking Her), that (I hope) will open a window to their history and future.

Reviewed by,
Sona Dasgupta.





No comments:

Post a Comment